Grade Kindergarten through Fifth: Blest Are We Faith and Word Edition
Grades Sixth through Eighth: St Mary’s Press Resources
Deepening Our Faith & “be”-attitude Curriculum Goals for Pre-School –Grade 8
Content of the Curriculum: driving forces
1) Archdiocesan Standards
2) Catechism of the Catholic Church
3) Contemporary Child-family in a Catholic Parish
4) A holistic approach to religious and faith formation
5) Reverence for Scripture
6) Church’s Commitment to Justice
7) Approved by the National Council of Bishops
Archdiocesan Standards Included in This Course Curriculum
(To be incorporated throughout the year in every parish religion program)
Promoting the Knowledge of Faith
Teaching to Pray
· Four pillars are developed in each Unit no matter what the theme
· Believe • Worship • Lived in Community • Nourished in Prayer
· Trinitarian in structure. Every grade has some background in a Trinitarian relationship (we come to know God through relationship with Jesus and through the Holy Spirit).
· Family is first: The family being the primary faith educator of the child and the primary person to share faith with the child. Family Time Pages
· We are not trying to get families to be theologians but we are striving to get parents and children to theologize --to talk about God present and a blessing in their lives.
Holistic Approach to the child
· Each Lesson is practical; positive; engages people in community.
· Pedagogically age appropriate
· Prayers are listed first in the book and lessons offer a variety of prayer experiences.
· Each Unit has its basis in Scripture and begins with a Scripture story.
Faith in action
· Seven Principles of Social Teaching are integrated throughout the lessons
· More Saints are integrated into each lesson
· Opportunity to talk about models of Catholic Way of Life as lived today.
· Content of each book must pass through a national Bishop’s Committee. This series has been approved for authenticity and completeness of doctrine.
· Archdiocesan Standards are also substantiated in the text
Pre-School children learn that God loves them, Jesus shows us how to live our life. Each Week seeds brings the Sunday Gospel to preschool children at their own developmental level
God loves us and shows this love as Creator of the universe, of me and of people. God gives me Jesus and who teaches me how to love
· Grade One:
Church, our loving God; Jesus God’s Son; the Holy Spirit; the early Church of followers.
· Grade Two:
We gather as believers( Baptism); We ask God’s Forgiveness (Penance) We celebrate he Word( Liturgy) ; We celebrate the Gifts of Eucharist. (This grade also has texts on Reconciliation and Eucharist)
· Grade Three:
The Church - One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic, and has a mission to the world. Catholic Identity.
· Grade Four:
Sacraments: What are Sacraments; Sacraments of Initiation; sacraments of Healing; Sacraments of Service (Grade 5 text)
(Grade Four Text Morality: The Goodness of God; the Ten Commandments: Jesus; the Beatitudes.(Catechists weave material for this age level into the year)
· Grade Five
: The Bible: Introduction to the Old and New Testament. Also Catholic Heritage Section (Grade 6 Text)
· Grades 6 -8 “be”-attitude
Curriculum developed around the Diocesan Standards. There is a three year rotations. Student Resources are the Catholic Youth Bible and Catholic Connections. The format includes class room lessons, speakers, small group faith sharing, service & social.
Year One: Jesus of History - Christ of Faith
Year Two: The Story of Church -Church History
Year Three: Being Catholic - Sacraments and Doctrine